Welcome to my blog, which I started way back in December 2002 - long before social media was a thing! With the advent of Facebook, Twitter etc. I don't write that often here now, but you never know when I might feel the urge to do so.
Monday, April 21, 2008
Five years ago I (entirely by accident) stumbled onto TV coverage of the Red Bull Flugtag in Hyde Park. If you don't know of the event it's a kind of "Wacky Races meets It's A Knockout" sort of thing - take a bunch of teams and give them a chance to fly their own quirky homemade flying machines off a large ramp over the Serpentine in Hyde Park. The result? Absolute hillarity and a lot of wet competitors.
I saw some of the highlights of the first event on TV a few years ago ( I seem to remember at least one team going over the edge with a piano!) and didn't stop laughing the whole way though, so applying for tickets for this (the second event in the UK) on 7th June was a no-brainer.
Beth and I have just received our (free!!) tickets:
I've been browsing their site to see what's one there - and some of the teams look very, very silly, for example:
- "Extreme Trifle" - a flying trifle, constructed from "wood, polystyrene with a hint of jelly, a dollop of custard and a sprinkling of hundreds and thousands."
- "ICBM" (Intercontinental Ballistic Morons) - a red double-decker London Bus with wings and "Air Bus" written on the side.
- "Tarbis" - A Doctor Who tribute outfit, complete with Tardis, Davros and a Cyberman.
- "Bad Habits" - 4 nuns breakdancing to Run DMC's "It's like that", while preparing to launch the Mother Nun.
- "The Vulture Squadron" - Dick Dastardly and his long suffering sidekick Muttley are back!
- "The Mary Poppins Fan Club" - this one involves a nanny and lots of umbrellas...
- "Team Flying Anvil" - I suspect this one comes with a Wylie Coyote.
- "Pharoah's Phantasy" - A papier mache and chicken wire flying Sphinx.
- "The A-Team 2008" - A black van and lots of machine guns. But will it fly...?